History of Leesville Junior High School
Vernon Parish School Board created the school in 1953 and it was originally located on the High School campus off Texas Highway. The original faculty consisted of eight teachers and the principal, A.L. Temple. A.C. Dowden served as the second principal from 1954-1956. Mr. C.A. Hughes was appointed principal in 1956 and the school was moved to the present location of East Leesville Elementary. Later that year, the school was moved again. This time it would be located on the 10-acre site where Leesville High School is now located. At that time, it consisted of 30 classrooms and made up the southernmost addition of Leesville High School. In 1976, a new school building was built across the street at 480 Berry Ave and in 1989 an expansion was added to the building. After Mr. Hughes retired, he was succeeded by, Joe Westerchil, Jackie Self, Hirl Haynes, Charles Balthrop, Roger Rolon, Mrs. Barbara Stainback and the current prinicpal, Mrs. Angel Williams.
In the early 1990's, LJHS served over 1000 students. The current enrollment is 560 students with 37 teachers, two administrators and one counselor.